Learn… Practice… Lead!
Go Wild gives youth hands-on opportunities to develop outdoor and leadership skills they will use throughout their lives. Go Wild has been running annually since 2013 as day camps held all over British Columbia. This year we are changing Go Wild’s structure switching it from a day camp to a 9-day overnight camp in order to create the leaders of conservation today!
WHAT IS NEW?
The new Go Wild program will take 20 conservation-minded youth (between the ages of 12-17) and transform them into conservation leaders over the course of 9 days.
The program will have 3 phases:
- PHASE 1 (days 1-3): Leadership and Teamwork
- PHASE 2 (days 4-6): Bushcraft and Wildlife Management Ethics
- PHASE 3 (days 7-9): Conservation Project Management
Throughout the camp we will have visiting industry professionals speak to campers about their field of expertise. Campers will have the opportunity to interact with these professionals in order to learn more about how to pursue careers in related fields. After completing Go Wild, campers will be required to complete a conservation project in their school or home community. Our Youth Program staff will offer ongoing support and depending on funding we may offer campers micro-grants to help finance their projects.
COVID-19 UPDATE MAY 1st, 2020
As of today, our August Wild Kidz camps (i.e. Castlegar, Rock Creek, and Abbotsford) and new Go Wild camp are on standby. We will make a definitive statement on whether these camps will proceed as scheduled on June 1st where we hope to have clear direction from the PHO and the British Columbia Ministry of Health. Should these camps proceed, we assure all campers, members, and families that we will adhere strictly to all guidance from Federal and Provincial authorities. We are also collaborating with other camp programs across BC on potential protocols that we can put into place that can help ensure the safety of our campers and their families. Examples of protocols that are being considered include the use of facemasks for all campers, and having families submit a record of health and symptoms for 2 weeks prior to attending camp.
We are also extending the deadline for applications to the new Go Wild program to June 5th which will allow families to have more time to plan their kids summer as COVID-19 measures are slowly and strategically lifted in the coming weeks.
July 29th - August 7th, 2020
WHO CAN APPLY?
- Any youth from BC between the ages of 12-17 may apply
- Applications will be taken between April 17 – June 5, 2020
- ONLY 20 applicants will be chosen
It is FREE to apply
- Download Letter of Intent
- Fill out form
- Email form to email@example.com by June 5th with the subject line “2020 Go Wild Candidate”
All applicants will be notified of the decision on their application. Successful applicants will be sent an email with a link to register and make their payment.
$600 per camper (all meals included)
There may be additional costs if transportation is required.
Please note: if the registration fee for camp is a barrier for your family, please note this in your Letter of Intent. We do our best to connect youth with the inability to pay with sponsors and donors who can subsidize their costs.
- Hands-on conservation experience
- Connection to industry professionals
- Continued post-camp support from BCWF for individual conservation projects
- Leadership development
- Introduction to project management skills
- Advanced outdoor and survival skills
- Potential access to micro-grants (dependent on funding availability)
PARENT AND CAMPER RESOURCES
Will be available in late May to early June